Sunday, April 9, 2017

Open Letter to Alumni Council

Dear Leaders and Members of Westminster Choir College Alumni Council,

Apparently there is some confusion among your members and followers.  I hope this letter will provide clarification.

I wish you every success with your pending events around Westminster Choir College Alumni reunion.

I have come to the attention of some Facebook comments suggesting that I had intentions to attend and possibly even disrupt these events.  I did not see any corrective comments from your leadership in response though such correction could have been made after the information I have been provided was collected.  I assume that the leadership of your council did not initiate these innuendo and falsehoods about me.

Do you know where this idea began, that I was intending to attend and / or disrupt?  I have not been personally invited to your festivities.  I was vaguely aware of the event but it was not really on my radar at all.  Saving Westminster is only one of many issues that I am involved in.  Others include stopping Rider's attempt to destroy the AAUP, Rider’s anti-immigrant policies, I just coordinated a NJ statewide response to the US bombing of Syria, I am one of the statewide coordinators of Decarcerate the Garden State and am supporting the organization efforts of COSECHA around A Day Without Immigrants for May 1 2017.  Point being – I am very busy so I was not even thinking about your important event and I apologize for that.

Can you please dispel any rumors among your membership that I had any intention to disrupt your event?  I am not sure where they got that idea into their head but there was an awful excessive amount of discourse – one even suggesting the need to call security to invite my exit to stop my non-disruption during my non-attendance of the event.

A couple of other things.  One of the alumnus suggested she wanted to “steal” my banner (I have two actually).   If you want to borrow one or both for your events – all good.  It does not imply that you agree with my approach to fighting to save Westminster – it implies that you agree to the slogan on the banner: Save Westminster Choir College – Support Beloved Faculty.



Also if you want a stack of historical O Westminster papers to share with your members – even if you do not absolutely agree with the perspective – it is mostly about how the plight of Westminster Choir College is tied to the plight of Westminster (and Rider) faculty and the AAUP – I can share them.


If you want neither of these things that’s fine too – no worries.

While I am not intending to organize any kind of demonstration around your events – it would not be a bad idea for YOU to organize maybe a 1 hour evening twilight candle light vigil that you can all sing some hopeful songs of struggle to Save Westminster Choir College.

I have no idea how this ugly innuendo and rumor and demonization of my character occurred, to have several people worrying about me disrupting an event I had not even been invited to nor had any intention of attending let  alone disrupting.  It would not have been horrible to have actually been invited to the events – to have a table there with my information – or whatever – or even to break bread with your members.  After all we have been fighting for the same thing even if some of your members disagree with my perspective on how to struggle in a place like Rider University.  But given the attitudes of some of your members and their wild and vivid imaginations – I am not expecting such an invite right away and at this point to be honest it is I who would be a little nervous being around them!

Any way – you want to borrow the banners and / or you want some papers to share with the membership, contact me.

But most importantly please ask your members to stop creating stories and feeding innuendo and rumor about my intentions toward your events.

Of course I wish you every success with it.

Sincerely,
Bob Witanek

Call or Text 908-881-5275

No comments:

Post a Comment