Tuesday, April 11, 2017

WCC Closing a la Frederick Douglass: No Plow, No Thunder, No Lightning, No Roar of Mighty Waters and . . . No WCC in Fall 2018

Time for some Frederick Douglass reality check - WCC got 1 year left and instead of unifying to try to change that equation - I have come under scurrilous and baseless attack for the methods of struggle that I chose to embrace and that I have proposed and promoted - I think some are trying to tell themselves that something was won on March 28 but the AAUP statement responding to the decision is a far more sober assessment.

I have been vilified for saying as much and folks say they want to be positive and hopeful. That's all well and good - have at it - but come this time next year the wrecking ball from the meme my son made last year (when I participated in a quasi successful effort to save WCC yet to the detriment of faculty and the AAUP) will be casting a dark shadow.

This is the part of the famous quotation that relates to those that have participated in my smearing for my suggestions of a more active and sustained kind of protest than what students and alumni offered:

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the roar of its mighty waters."


Here there has been disparaging of my agitation and we did NOT plow the ground. There has been no thunder and lighting and there has been no roar of mighty waters and come 2018 . . . as it seems . . . unless we heed the call of AAUP to continue the fight to demand that Westminster continue . . . there will be no Westminster.

No comments:

Post a Comment